Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thankful... for when time stands still


Hey Jude,

This evening I went out to eat with a friend.  I picked you up from your sitter a little before 9, but you had already been asleep.  Of course, you didn't stay asleep once I got you in the car.  I tried to put you to bed when we got home.  It seemed like the right thing to do.  Little boys aren't supposed to be running around after 9:00.

Going to bed broke your heart.  I guess you've enjoyed having me home the past few days, and were sad I was gone this evening.  I couldn't stand watching your heart break.  I know I am probably a pushover mom in some people's opinions, but I think your feelings are important.  And I am so thankful I took the time.

We spent the next 15 minutes with you snuggled on top of my chest just the way you did when you were a baby.  I remembered what it was like even now to get a hug from my mom when I'm sad, and I was glad I could offer you the same thing.  I'm thankful that during those 15 minutes, time stood still.  It was one of those serene moments in which I could live forever.  Your head on my shoulder.  Your arm drooped lazily over my side.  You sweet baby breath.  It was perfect.  You may not remember this, but I will.

No comments: