Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thankful... for my Texas, my job, and citizenship.


Today I'm thankful for Texas, my job, and citizenship.  Weird combo?  Not really.  I'm thankful for Texas because we are close to the border of Mexico.  Which means that instead of having the same culture as the entire US, we get some variety.  (Ok, I realize that a lot of states have variety.  I'm just saying...)  I'm thankful for the food that variety brings.  I'm thankful for the people I get to meet that are different and yet the same.  I'm thankful for being inspired to work harder and be appreciative of things I never had to work for.

And I'm thankful for my job because I think I have only 2 white kids??  Not sure.  The point is I get to learn about other cultures (hispanic specifically) on a daily basis, and that rocks.  I never thought about it before, because I grew up in New Orleans, and there weren't too many hispanics to begin with.  But I just really enjoy being around this warm group of teachers and parents and kids.  I love how all these parents bring the entiiire family to breakfast in the morning to eat with their kids.  I think that's awesome, and I wish more parents were that involved.  And I'm thankful because I get the opportunity to buy fresh, homade tamales and support one of our 5th graders at the same time.  It's yummy.  It's awesome.

And finally, I'm thankful for citizenship, which is the main thing I never had to work for.  I'm sure there are people who are here illegally and not that nice.  However--- working at my school, I have heard so many stories of people who are here illegally and then end up seperated from their families, even spouses who ARE citizens come under fire and question and have to PROVE their birth certificate isn't fake.  As a single parent, I can't imagine the stress of being afraid my spouse was going to be up and shipped out or wondering if he'd be allowed back or wondering if I were going to be sent back bc of the validity of my certificate, etc, etc, etc.  If someone is here and working and contributing, I'm sorry, but I don't see the big deal.  My soapbox- but to me this = ridiculous.

So basically, I'm thankful for Texas and being able to meet people from Latin American countries because they are inspirational.  They are working their butts off for something I was born into.  I tip my hat and have to confess, I just don't know if I would work as hard.  Maybe I've just had it too easy too long???  Regardless, I'm thankful for Texas, my job, and citizenship.



No comments: