Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Photo day 10- Nature


I am stumped on day 9: person who inspires me.  But I have an idea.  In the meantime, I decided to skip that day and move on to Day 10, which is nature.  That was easier for me.  And to be honest, as obsessed as I am with fall and winter, I could camp out here.  Maybe I will.

This is dried thistle.  My dried thistle which sits on the window ledge in my bathroom.  It has been my favorite flower since sometime in college.  I like that it's purple.  I like that its unconventional.  I like all that it symbolizes to me.  It's a prairie flower, and by nature hardy.  It manages to survive cold winters, dry spells, and scorching heat.  It's beautiful, but also difficult to get ahold of.  It's been through a lot, and it takes a more adventurous person to appreciate it for what it is.

My life has been one that has made me hardy and somewhat of a survivor.  And while I certainly think my life is beautiful for what it is, it has also left me with some prickly spots.  Just like a thistle.  So today I'm thankful for all the people in my life who appreciate me for who I am.  They are willing to look beyond the areas of pain that make it so easy to pigeonhole me, to the person that I really am.  Because none of those prickles have ever defined me, just like the thistle.  And I'm also thankful that God has a reason for every prickle, every draught, every cold winter, every scorching summer that I'm asked to survive.  I'm thankful that He brings forth brilliant colors and healing through it all, just like he does with the thistle.

No comments: