Friday, January 27, 2012
I wore my hair like this Monday, as well as today. Apparently, I inspired one of my students to kick it hippie style. Can I just get a shout out for how awesome kids are and how awesome teaching is?
Also, today I had my observation. Some comments that were made include, "Excuse me teacher, by there is something wrong with my tummy. It feels very alone." And then when we were using thermometers to study the temperature of ice, a student hollers out "Are those filled with blood?"
I just looked at my assistant principal and smiled. I wanted to say welcome to my world, because this is the most unusual group of students ever.
In other news, at the beginning of the year, I had only 7 kids on grade level for reading. I had 12 below level. I officially now have only 6 below level and 12 on level!!!! I am celebrating!!!
Monday, January 23, 2012
Health and Wellness is one of my favorite topics as of late. The hippie in me has always been on the organic, natural, trust your body, love the earth bandwagon. Here lately though I have really been going full throttle.
I was blessed with low blood sugar which can cause a whole range of fun side effects. I'm sure that's where the 'must watch what i eat' kick started. I've never dieted, and am mostly satisfied with my body (considering I've had a kid...) but I do believe that it is wise to fill your body with good fuel. I've already posted about my resolutions, but I just am really excited about a couple things I've got going on lately.
1- I have completely detoxed myself from depending on coffee in the morning. I just can't believe the jitters from too much caffeine are ok. Today I just spent some time buying an assortment of energizing teas for the morning, as well as relaxing teas for the evening. Isn't it amazing how God designed the world to naturally combat diseases, bring us peace, bring us energy? I don't know why we 'reinvent the wheel' all the time, considering the original creator.
2- I have finally gotten ahold of organic chicken! Have I ever mentioned how much I love Kroger? They really have a good, reasonably priced organic section-- as far as organics go.
3- My raw food diet is changing. I am now going to be focusing on consuming only raw veggies, meat, and dairy products. My blood sugar has gone crazy lately. I don't know if it's the stress of my life or what, but some serious changes are necessary. Hello sugar free! So I am doing my best to limit all grains and fruits, except as 'treats' or just a serving of grains a day. My grocery basket looked interesting today since it was all meat and veggies. I am going to have to get creative, but I'm really excited about doing what's right for my health.
4- And you know what I would love to find- Christian Yoga. I love yoga as an exercise, but would love the meditative side focused on Christ. I haven't found one in Denton, but hopefully soon.
5- I am looking in to essential oils. I picked up some lavender this week, but I need to learn how to use it. Basically, I need natural destressers.
Anyway, I just want to say that change is exciting, and making decisions that I believe are right for myself and my family is so empowering. I never thought it would be such a 'hobby', but it really kind of is.
And on that note, I will leave you with thinking about how much of a dork I really am :)
Sunday, January 1, 2012
2010 was the hardest year of my life. 2011 found me putting all these war torn pieces back together. I don't know what 2012 has in store, but compared to the last 2 years of my life, it has to basically rock.
Things that rocked about 2011:
* I broke free from a lot of hurt/guilt/past that has held me back for years. I cannot describe to you the power that comes from realizing that God really can satisfy all your emotional needs. But he can. This year I've come to know God intimately as Healer and Lover of My Soul. Being able to say that is so huge for me, because for the longest time I've depended on other peoples opinions to satisfy me, especially significant others opinions. Now, I really just care about God's opinion. While relationships are great and I am in no way saying I don't want a relationship, I do know I don't need one. I am content whether single or married.
* And I am free from the mind warp that came from past relationships. Now, I can be chewed out by my ex, but it doesn't affect how I think about myself. I have been emotionally and mentally healed by God. I can tell the truths from lies. I'm not saying that when I get text after text it doesn't bother me or that the voice of lies doesn't threaten to come up and say I'm not worth it. It does, but Satan's voice isn't very loud anymore. And it takes one scripture quote to shut him up. hallelujah!
* I have really found my way back to myself. I've always been something of a free spirit. I like to live in the moment, as much as is possible as a responsible adult anyway. I am seeing beauty in each moment again. It's so amazing.
* 2 year olds rock. Jude turning 2 has been such a blessing and huge huge joy!
* I am teaching 2nd grade again! Love that grade! With a pretty rockin team!
* My sister moved to Dallas!
* I went to a Texas Tech football game!
* I have enjoyed VICs with my lovely Lee crew!
* I have enjoyed Fusion stuff with my DBC crew!
Overall despite the pain, 2011 left me in a good spot, and I am looking forward to seeing where 2012 takes me. But if it takes me nowhere, that's ok too. Because whether I stay or whether I go, I know God's got me there for a reason.
My goals this year:
* continue eating as many raw foods as possible. This has really done wonders for my energy level and my psyche. I am honestly a happier, more relaxed person. It's so much easier to choose joy when you've eaten healthy. I'm not kidding. Raw food is equal to zoloft in my opinion.
* continue to purge my house of 'bad' products. Meaning I'm giving up a whole lot of shopping to buy real, organic food, and also to buy all soaps and cleaners that are environmentally friendly. Specifically, no sulfates.
* Recycling and reusing- I am going to be better about taking my reusable grocery bags! I am terrible about forgetting them in.my.car! I'm also going to be taking more recycling to my school. Aubrey doesn't have city recycling (boo). But I can take it to school which is awesome because a) I am recylcying and b) it helps my school get money. Also, I am working on using very few ziploc bags. Did you know there are 20 million ziploc baggies thrown away daily!!! You can buy reusable bags at the container store that are bpa free (ziploc is not) and you can reuse them easily. Plus, they are cute.
* Choosing joy, living in the moment, and being better about letting the free spirit side of me that likes to dance like no ones watching out. Because life is short, and why not?