Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Thursday, January 24, 2013

thankful thursdays- abortion, MLK, teaching


1.  thankful for my atonement child, my sweet Jude.  And how lately he answers my call with 'yes hunny' or 'yes sweetie'.  I don't even know where he gets the things he says, but he makes me laugh.  And laughing is the best.

2.  the greatest outpouring of grace I think I have ever received for sharing my biggest regret in honor of Roe v. Wade.  You can see the post here.  There is no condemnation in Christ and I really felt so much Christ-love from the encouraging words people gave me.  Seriously.  Some of you just made me cry :)  THANK YOU

3.  My quirky aspergery student who keeps saying "I like the new Ms. D" every time we do a math problem, a science experiment, read a book.  I don't know how these things are new.  Maybe because he confused the concept of New Years??  Still funny.

4.  Quality parent conferences that lead to a game plan in the best interest for the kid.  And honestly a renewed love and dedication for this kid.  

5.  Engaged eyes yesterday as I shared with them the time in college I went and listened to Coretta Scott King speak.  At the time, I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  She actually passed away a year or two after I heard her.  But I always think about her during this week, and almost always share that story with my kids.  This year I just had a couple kids who really locked in with me ya know.   I don't remember much of what she said, but I remember her clearly talking about how as we climb the ladder of success to always be sure and put one hand and help lift the person behind us.  I was so moved by that idea.  And while most of my class didn't seem to care, those few kids who did.  I don't know it was amazing to see their faces really think through how they can become successful but also reach one hand back.  Like teared up amazing.  I hope they always remember that story.

6.  In connection with above, and in order to show the kids a tangible way I give back to the person behind me.  I shared with them my picture of our sweet Gifty from Ghana who Jude and I support through Compassion International.  I keep her picture by my desk at school, so I was able to show the kids.  It was just a really neat conversation.  Where they were able to make the connections to caring about others and I actually got to show them how I do that.  I don't know.  It was really exciting.  Some days teaching is hard.  Sometimes it is so amazing I just know I couldn't do any other job.

7.  thankful I love my job.  It's not easy, but impacting sweet children who need a desperate amount of love is amazing




Loved and LovelyThe Fontenot FourThankful Thursdays Buttona punk, a pumpkin and a peanut

2 comments:

Amanda Dobbs said...

I, too, wanted to comment towards this post and the last. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts. They are so inspiring and real. I so much appreciate your previous post and thought it was so beautifully put. God's story, indeed. That's our whole lives....not excluding the difficult times where we may feel as if all evil eyes are upon us. Really appreciate you telling your story. Also, I can relate to a lot of your thankful Thursday! Being around these kids and getting to experience our impact first-hand is extraordinary. Especially those children who are less off among the rest. Oh, yes, and especially our autistic children. Sweetest kids! Always bring a smile :) From reading many of your posts, it is obvious that the beauty in your life as well as these tougher times are a story God is creating for you to tell and pass on. So, thank you!!!!! You are so blessed!

ThistleAshD said...

Thanks so much :) love that we've been able to connect through meg. Love reading your thoughts too! And teaching is the most amazing job in so many ways. I am so continually blessed by my kids. Even the hard days- know God uses them to mold me into someone who is more patient and compassionate and about 1000 other things. I HOPE God uses my story for them. So thankful for godly teachers like you too! Our kids need people who love them unconditionally!