Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Life Cycle- Every 2 hours

Life with Jude is a lot more tiring than I fully expected. Yes I know everyone tells you there will be sleepless nights, but for me, it was just one of those things I needed to experience first to fully understand. Well holy crap- I have never been so tired in my life! That being said, obviously I am not up on my online life like I was pre-baby.

Anyway, Jude is doing wonderful and honestly is any easy baby. He really doesn't cry over much except to let me know he's ready to eat. The tiring part is that he is usually ready to eat every 2 hours. (I'm breastfeeding which is partly why he eats so often). Anyway, by the time he eats and burps and everything I have approximately an hour before its time to start the cycle all over again. I'm trying my best to sleep when he sleeps, along with eating and showering and the whole slew of other things you have to do in a day. However, like I said, he's a pretty easy baby, just a hungry, growing baby.

One of the most awesome Jude stories thus far in his short life happened a couple of days ago. I was in the middle of burping Jude, which incidentally is quite difficult. He rarely cooperates with this part. Anyway, I had Jude laid out across my back and was burping him when the inevitable happened. Michael sneezed. Now for those of you who have never heard Michael sneeze, it is loud as all get out. Well, naturally, it scared Jude to death. He shot milk out projectile style all over the place. And then as usual, fell right to sleep.

He sleeps through anything. This is really the hardest part of Jude. He will fall asleep halfway through eating all the time. Then we have to resort to torture devices like ice water on his head to wake him up. I would like to say this approach has 100% effectiveness, but sadly Jude can sleep through ice water. We are still looking for quality, fool proof, Jude proof methods of waking up a baby.

All this to say, most of it is pretty amazing. Particularly the fact that he literally changes every day. It's like I wake up in the morning to a new baby. We can't figure out who he might possibly look like because he is constantly changing. Of course all his changes are adorable in our opinion ;) It makes each day exciting though because he looks different and he acts different and he gets a little bit better at one of his new 'skills'.

Speaking of skills, Jude seems to me to be incredibly strong for a week old. He can already hold his head up, Actually, he could hold it up within the first few hours of his life. He's very difficult to keep ahold of. He can maneuver himself so quickly and with such force that there have been several times I've been freaked out that he was going to fly out of my hands. Luckily all dangerous situations have been averted thus far.

Anyway, he's entertaining, and we are really enjoying our son. Although to be honest, we wouldn't mind just a few more hours of sleep....

No comments: