Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Friday, October 9, 2009

38 weeks and a leek

Jude is now 38 weeks now. We are really and truly in the waiting stage. At this point he is about the size of a leak. Inside, he's really starting to plump up. Most likely he weighs about 7 lbs. Again, this is going off his last sonogram when he weighed 6 lbs and 1 oz. Babies gain approximately and ounce a day from that point. Given that information, he should be about 7 lbs. This is a little bigger than the average which is 6 lbs 8oz for this point in pregnancy. At 38 weeks, he has a firm grasp which will be fun for us when he's born! He also has fully mature organs and is ready for life on the outside. From this point forward it is really just a time of waiting to see when we will actually pop. As I said yesterday, I probably have at least another week left before I go.

Michael's mom gave me his birth stats a couple days ago. He too was born with a full head of hair! Also he weighed 8 lbs 8 oz. According to her our babies should fall somewhere in the middle of our 2 birth weights. I was 7 lbs 14 oz. I'm guessing that Jude will be 8 lbs 3-4 oz based off of that. Given his ounce a day statistic from this point, he should be 7 lbs 7oz by week 39 and 7 lbs 14 oz by his due date. That's exactly what I was. We'll see. Of course, some of this depends on when he actually comes. While I get braxton hicks contractions a little more each day, it is still nothing to make me expect labor to be around the corner. I have a feeling it will be a long wait...

My goal this week is to get things ready for the hospital. For those of you out there that have had babies, please comment with any advice on packing. I'm the worst packer in the world and truly will find this ardent task overwhelming. Help is appreciated!

No comments: