Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Friday, September 11, 2009

Week 34


We are now in week 34, which means our due date is a whole whopping 6 weeks away. Really, really getting here fast. If I had a dollar for every time someone said "You're all baby" or "I don't think your going to make it much longer" or similar phrases, our upcoming hospital bills would be paid in full. (For the record, I don't mind people commenting on my clearly growing size. It's just reality, and it's for a great cause!)

Jude is now the size of your average cantaloupe, and honestly, I probably look as though I'm carrying a cantaloupe inside. He weighs 4.75 pounds and is 18 inches long. This blows my mind. I can't imagine growing at this rate-inches and half pounds a week. Goodness. Again, he's continuing to add fat layers which will smooth out his skin and appearance, although the true function is for body temperature. His central nervous system and lungs are also continuing to mature.

Awesome news in week 34- babies born at this point usually do fine. Generally, they just have a short stay in NICU and at most some short term health problems. Notice the short term. Every time I get one of these weekly updates that further reassures me Jude should survive from this point forward just fine, I breathe a little easier. With the way my body feels completely worn out with every muscle sore and tight, it's nice to know he'll be ok. Physically, I feel like he could come anytime. I think that's just being a working woman still.

Regardless, 6 weeks to go!

No comments: