Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

So I really am getting stupider

A couple days ago I posted a status on facebook about how I can't think clearly anymore, etc. One of my coworkers posted a link about the pregnancy brain, which I just found the time to read. It's on Oprah's website. In the article, Dr. Oz is interviewing a Dr. Brizendine. Here's the quote:

The mommy brain
  • The brain shrinks during pregnancy—it does not lose cells but changes metabolism and restructures. Then in the final one to two weeks, the brain begins to increase in size again and construct maternal circuits. It does not return to its former size until about six months after giving birth. "We don't know what it's doing but we think it has something to do with redeveloping the mommy brain's circuits, but also maybe even letting the fetus 'snack' on the mommy's brain," Dr. Brizendine says.
I can't tell you how comforting this is. Every day at work, I feel like the slacker coworker idiot who can't keep up or contribute. Seriously, I'm considering taking a tape recorder device to all meetings because even though I take notes, I still don't seem to know what the heck is going on. It's very embarrassing to find out later on just how off base I was. Unfortunately, it seems like it will take me until April to really regain my total intelligence. I dare the world to judge me now though. I have the best excuse on the planet.

Oh you who sit in your tower and judge me as I fail to stay organized and focuses, remember this: I am sacrificing my brain minute by minute to create life. I should receive great honors and medals for this 40 week process.


No comments: