Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Monday, November 23, 2009

Lullaby and Good Night

Rockabye Baby.....
Today I began to teach Jude something new: how to fall asleep drowsy as well as a specific nap time. (By specific time, I mean sometime between 12 and 1:30.) He's gotten so used to falling asleep with one of us holding him. I think we were just so entranced by having a baby, we haven't wanting to put him down. I confess, holding sleeping babies has always been one of my favorite things. Holding MY sleeping baby is even better! Anyway, today I started breaking us both of this habit.

I put on baby einstein lullabies and he starting fluttering his eyes. I laid him in his bed and he went to sleep for a few minutes. Then he started crying. I waited a couple minutes, but he just grew more intense, so I went and picked him up. I consoled him, gave him his pacifier and lovie, and calmed him down. I placed him back in the bed and he's been out since then. I call that success!

Incidently, I don't know if I would be concerned about this stuff if I was a stay at home mom. However, I go back to work on December 14th. Poor Jude- there are just some skills I have to help him with so that he can transition. I doubt his babysitter will want to hold him all day quite like I do, so it's necessary that he be a wee bit more independent by then. Of course, I probably will hold him all evening when I pick him up from work! I don't care if it's teaching him bad habits. He's my baby and he's only my baby for a couple months of his life.

Anyway, I'm praying for a smooth transition for both Jude and me. Probably more for me. I have no idea how I'm going to leave my baby and work all day.

By the way, isn't sleeping Jude possibly the sweetest thing ever? I think so...


1 comment:

allie-mac-fallie said...

yes, def the sweetest thing ever :)