Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Thankful for Kolaches, Kids, Missions, and Country Music



This week I'm thankful for:

1.  Having my parents in this weekend.  We had our traditional kolaches and donuts breakfast on Saturday.  Jude got to enjoy (half) of a chocolate sprinkles donut.  My mom and I continued our tradition of splitting an eclaire.  Jude built a suspension bridge on the floor (where he learned the term suspension bridge I have no idea).  My parents and I discussed religion and politics over coffee.  I love that I have parents with whom I can discuss the two most divisive topics with.  


2.  Many of my kids enjoyed Stink Feet Friday this week.  It's amazing how much fun class becomes when you are given permission to take off your shoes.  They were actually all super wound up on Friday, which is beyond draining.  But hey, parts of it were fun.


3.  I saw this precious 2nd grader walking around at recess.  He's not in my class, but I appreciated his style.  If you aren't aware, I love me some Bob Marley.  In fact, that was the only music I had playing in the room when I gave birth to Jude.  I love island music so much.  I will always appreciate some rasta love.  And side note- reasons why my boyfriend is perfect (for me), back when we first started dating he totally bought the recent Bob Marley documentary which we watched together.  And it was awesome.

4.  I started a new Bible Study this week at my church which is focusing on missions.  I do think all Christians are called to missions however and wherever they are.  I am so excited to learn how I can be more focused on missional living and just understanding where God has me right now.

5.  I am thankful I got to enjoy a night out with Jimmy.  As in like an actual late night out where my parents were able to stay with Jude and it didn't cost me tons.  His birthday was this week, so we went and saw the Turnpike Troubadours at Billy Bobs.  I'm not a huge country fan (mainly bc its sooo pop infused).  But good old fiddle playing red dirt/texas style country is pretty good.  This particular band is from OK, and if you like country, recommend.

6.  Thankful I learned about the importance of a heart that truly mourns for the hurting.  Last night, we went to the Village.  Chandler is starting a study on Nehemiah and how he mourns for the brokenness of the Israelites.  This kind of goes right with my missional study.  I do often mourn for my kiddos and their just painful lives.  But I want to really see things on a bigger scale and just be a part of God's story with a heart that aches for people like God does.

7.  Thankful I accomplished getting parent meetings set up to get a particular student into dyslexia.  I have the hardest time tracking down my parents because their phones are constantly getting cut off.  I have been trying to get this student in since October.  So thankful we are almost there!

8.  Thankful to be able to look forward to a 2 night bachelor extravaganza!  I am shameless and very into this show.  And Tierra is so daggum crazy.  Like the previews with her twitching like she belongs in a straight jacket.  Can. Not. Wait.
Loved and LovelyThe Fontenot FourThankful Thursdays Buttona punk, a pumpkin and a peanut

3 comments:

A said...

I love thankful posts! Its so important to think about the things we are thankful for isn't it? Hope you are having a great week! Jude is such a cutie - how adorable that he knows what a 'suspension bridge' is! Smart cookie! :)

Aanika Xx

ThistleAshD said...

Definitely! I think counting the things I'm thankful for really changes my outlook :)

Michelle Clark (AKA Miss Banana Pants) said...

I love this post! And I love that you love missions! Good luck with the new bible study! And thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving comments over at Miss Banana Pants! Did you know that my husband and I are moving abroad to Nicaragua to serve as full-time missionaries?? We have another blog for that if you wanted to check it out! www.abroadperspective.net