Pages

"The thistle is a prickly flower, aye, but how it is sweetly worn."

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day




Happy Father's Day to my Dad who taught me everything I needed to know in life:

* That Texas really is the best state possible.
* That life is meant to be lived at the beach as many days out of the year as possible.
* That hard work pays off.
* To always buy a used car.
* To think through every decision carefully and logically.
* That rock n roll is meant to be listened to loudly, and preferably with bose speakers.
* That classic rock is always and will always be the best era of music.
* That men are meant to be servants, hard working, patient, and loving.
* That love is an action, not a word.
* That no matter what happens, I will always have superhero who will save my day.
* That I'm worth a 3 hr drive to Waco to help me change my breaks.
* That if possible, you should do it yourself.  This is the first year in my life I've ever had to pay for an oil change.
* To love the woods and the outdoors.
* You're never too old to work on your tan.
* You should start working on your tan at least by March.
* made me the best omelets
* That it is perfectly acceptable to hang squirrel traps from your roof.
* How to use power tools.
* That Mexican food is always the best option, even if it requires a 2 hr drive to get there.
* That baseball is the best sport.
* To never be embarrassed but just dance and go for it.
* That you should always be humble enough to say your sorry.
* To forgive.
* That giving money back to church and charity is not an option.
* For always, always leading by example Dad, thank you.



And thank you for being the best Pops a crazy 3 year old could ask for.  So thankful that God has blessed Jude with you in his life to show him what it means to be a godly man.  There are just some things in this world I can never teach him.  I'm so grateful to know that regardless of what happens to me or in my life, Jude will always have you to depend on.


And to the other men in Jude's life that impact him and show him what it looks like to be a godly man:

Thank you Kunka JoJo for showing him what duty, honor, respect look like.  But also what it looks like to have fun and love the outdoors.  I'm not certain, but I think this was his first tree to climb.  It's fitting that you would help him.  As he gets older, I love thinking about all the wilderness love you could teach him.

To Kunka Bry Bry.  Thanks to you my child knows exactly what football team he will root for for the rest of his life.  Thank you for stepping in almost from the get go with diapers, babysitting, chicken balls, going for rides in baskets.  Jude is so blessed by the way you love on him!  I'm so thankful Megan married you.  Her children will be the luckiest!  Wreck em!

To Jimmy, the best boyfriend ever.  Jude might be starting to love you more than me ;)  I am continually blessed by the way you pour into my child.  You provide me so much needed sanity and just breathers.  But mostly, I love the way you care about him.  And how you legitimately think he's funny. And how you ask about him when you're out of town.  I'm thankful you've come into my life because you model for me daily the virtues I want to teach Jude to be.  You.  Are. The. Kindest!

3 comments:

Danielle In The City said...

So sweet!!!!

Tommi said...

When jimmy was a little boy, even then he loved taking care of little ones. He's always had a tender heart. Ask him about when we lived in CA. Good memories...

ThistleAshD said...

I believe it :) He literally is the kindest person I've ever met and I love his heart more than anything!